1.19.2009

Pasta with Chickpea Sauce

This pasta dish is one of my favorite, and is vegetarian which is very unusal for me (I love meat!).  I really enjoy chickpeas (garbanzo beans).  They are great in hummus, chickpea curry, etc.  If I had to be a vegetarian, I would probably live on chickpeas and avacados! This dish has a more subtle taste.  Dave would prefer if I added more spices or meat but I think the rosemary and chickpeas is a great combination.

Pasta with Chickpea Sauce

Ingredients cooking before pureeing

The final dish

2 medium yellow onions (chopped)
4 garlic cloves (chopped)
1 1/2 tablespoons of dried rosemary (crushed)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
2 15 oz cans of chickpeas
salt and ground pepper 
1 pound of pasta (I have made it with linguini and smaller pasta, but prefer the larger)

Heat olive oil in pot. Put in onions, garlic, and rosemary on low heat for 10 minutes.  Add the tomatoes and one can of chickpeas and cook for 10 minutes.  Puree the sauce until it is smooth.  Add salt and ground pepper and additional can of chickpeas and cook for 3 - 4 minutes.  Pour over cooked pasta.  Add parmesan cheese if you like.  

No comments:

Post a Comment